Author Topic: bad smell in Latex paint  (Read 25481 times)

Offline HelpingHand

bad smell in Latex paint
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:21:24 PM »
Does anyone know why latex gets to smelling atrocious when it goes bad?  We work in donations, and someone donated about 70 gallons of the worst smelling paint I've ever seen.  Wondering if this can be reversed or cured in some way.

If it can't, does anyone know a good way to harden lots of paint?  I've been trying sawdust in a cardboard box but that takes a while. I'm trying to avoid Kitty Litter since its not free.
-Adrian

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: bad smell in Latex paint
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
I used some bad  old latex at a clients house and they said it took weeks to clear out. Don't use it.

Getting rid is always a problem. Cheap kitty at wallmart. Get the $3 bag. does your area have any household waste drop offs?  Bout all I got. I have about 50 gals I need to unload myself...
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline VJ1

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »
Old latex paint can range in smell from urine to rotten eggs if it has been opened and not properly re-sealed. The smell comes from a breakdown in resins and biocides due to contamination from air, and there is nothing that can be done to reverse it. Saw dust will not help for disposal. Cat litter works very well but it will be expensive for that quantity of paint. There is also a waste paint hardner which can be purchased at most paint stores but it runs about $2. per gallon.
Here in Florida it can be taken to any landfill where they have a collection area for proper disposal. Call your local Solid Waste Authority for their recommendation on disposal sites. Whatever you do, do not apply that paint, you will be sorry.
Vandi.

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:13:11 AM »
LOL!

A few years ago me and my crew at the time painted an animal hospital back in Vegas.

Paint smelled (literaly) like piss and even pissed off the people who worked at the clinic!!!

You know it was bad if even they (at an animal clinic/hospital!) were bothered by it!  :P :P :P

Guy at the paint store (shout out to Vista back in Vegas!!! Best store eveh!!!) said it was just the way that some batches were batched and that was just the way that it played.

Worst smell I ever worked with.....

And, in fact, in my book it's still suspect to this day!

Still......It was good paint....

With a bad smell.

Dunno  ???

Guess it's a case of shrug your shoulders and just move on.......................

The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 02:47:54 PM »
IME The bad smell does not necessarily mean that the paint is "Bad". The smell is usually caused when the paint becomes stagnant in storage which promotes high concentrations of bacteria growth. You may be able to save the paint by straining and adding a Biocide ( which should be available at your local paint store ) Of course, test the paint on a small area before committing to it...  ;)

Best Luck,
rmichael
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:56:26 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 25 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline HelpingHand

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »
Can anyone recommend a biocide?  Either brand or ingredient, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Offline Maxson Painting

• maxsonpainting.com
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
Bad smell can be remedied by adding just a little household bleach.  Mix it up good and the donation you received will be ready for resale.
http://www.maxsonpainting.com

Offline caraticus

• Minneapolis Painters
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »
Here's some info on Biocides:

http://www.specialchem4coatings.com/tc/biocide/index.aspx
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:26:29 PM by caraticus »

Offline HelpingHand

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »
On another post in here Jared says never to add bleach to paint, or it will stop it from adhering.  Any information to that end?

Offline Jared

• PF Mega God
  • Caulk is Cheap.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 12:12:31 AM »
Actually, I was warning a DIY'er away from using bleach as a paint additive, but yes, my argument is/was based upon my experience of having to clean up the mess caused by painting over bleach-contaminated surfaces.

Now, whether adding bleach to paint will lead to paint failure or not - this I cannot say, as I have never tried it.  Also wouldn't know if it would solve the odor problem or not, for the same reason.  But I see no reason to doubt Maxson's claim.  Do a small-scale test with a half-pint of paint, and let us know how it works out.
"Measure your mind's height by the shadow it casts." - Robert Browning

"If you live to learn, you might just learn to live in the process." - Jared

Offline HelpingHand

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »
Thanks for all the advice - here's an update -

After sorting through the rest of the donation I've now got probably got about 500 gallons of this nasty paint.  Each bucket looks different and has varying levels of smell.  Some have grey or reddish discoloration, and some resemble water more than others.

I've added a little bleach and used the paint, and I end up with a not quite rotted but still gross smell.  The paint seems to be adhering fine (I sprayed exterior aluminum siding) and, probably because it is exterior, I can't notice a smell. 

Interestingly, when I added the bleach the paint turned purple directly under where I had poured it in.  After mixing it had a uniform white color.  The paint is flat and does have a yellowish look to it, though I added color to the whites that I used in the field.

I'm still not really sure if bleach is a good idea or not.  Some paint is fairly watery, and different buckets have different discoloration away from white.  What I'm most afraid of at this point is that the binders and resins have degraded to a point that its not worth saving, though I have no idea how to tell which buckets are the worst.

That being said....it seems to stick fine and the smell, on the exterior at least, has gone away.
Thanks for the advice!

Offline AbnerWright

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 11:30:31 PM »
I have no experience with Latex Paint but your post informed me a lot about it. Now I have got enough knowledge. If in future I got a probability to use Latex Paint then I will share my experience with you.